Thursday, September 19, 2013

3:1 - Guarantor

When & Where:  I heard guarantor during a meeting for a task force I was asked to serve on.  The purpose of the task force is encourage students' financial literacy through engagement with a web-based tool called "Salt." The presenter informed us that the company that runs the site, ASA, is a guarantor of student loans.

Level of Familiarity:  I have definitely heard the word before, probably when I was dealing with student loans in graduate school.  What it meant didn't seem to matter back then.  Now, however, I feel it is more important to understand what it means in order conceptualize what it is that Salt does.

What it Means:  Dictionary.com defines guarantor as "one that guarantees."  This is not helpful.  I know the word "guarantee" but I don't understand what this means in relationship to student loans.  I realized that I needed to look elsewhere.  I Googled "guarantor of student loans" and came across this definition on Wikipedia: "a person or agency that agrees to pay someone else's debt should he or she default on a loan."

Reflective Commentary:  I now understand a guarantor to be essentially a debt management entity, a concept that I am familiar with.  I don't see myself using this word very often since I don't have many conversations about loans or debt in my daily life.  Eventually, though, I am sure I will need to walk this road as a parent. 

I really enjoy using uncommon words and adapting words from one context into another.  I do wonder if I might use this word in another context though in a more metaphorical way.  For example, whether I could say that I've been a "guarantor" of something after helping to clean up somebody's mess after they have made a mistake? 

No comments:

Post a Comment