Thursday, October 3, 2013

5:1 - Falderal

When & Where:  Dr. Jones and I were chatting in my office the other day about work-place politics. As she was leaving, she remarked, "Enjoy all the falderal!" 

Level of Familiarity: I immediately responded to my colleague, "What did you just say?! Is that a word?" and she chuckled knowingly.  She said it was a recently-learned word for her too, one that she had learned from her grandmother.

What it Means:  Dr. Jones explained that the word implies "illogical nonsense," and in fact, Dictionary.com defines falderal as "mere nonsense, foolish talk or ideas."

Reflective Commentary:  It always surprises and fascinates me when I hear a word that is truly new, as in one I had never heard before, particularly in conversation.  I sometimes expect to see unfamiliar words when I am reading, but it's very infrequently that I need to ask someone who is speaking to explain a word to me.  I definitely think I will use this word.  Lately, I find myself engaged in long rants about things that don't make sense to me--from Common Core Assessments to the government "shutdown"  As far as I'm concerned it's all falderal.  

No comments:

Post a Comment