Level of Familiarity: I have heard heard reference to the carotid artery before, but as I listened today I thought about what an interesting word carotid was. I had no idea how it was spelled. I initially thought "carroted," and that led me to wonder whether the word had some meaning other than being the name of an artery.
What it Means: Merriam-Webster defines the carotid artery as either of the two large arteries, one on each side of the head, that carry blood to the head and that divide into an external branch supplying the neck, face, and other external parts, and an internal branch supplying the brain, eye, and other internal parts.
Reflective Commentary: My research gave me no reason to believe that the word carotid refers to anything other than the name of this particular artery. I don't see myself having the occasion to use this word as someone who does not routinely engage in discussions about anatomy. However, learning this word helped me to generate some background knowledge that could someday be useful -- for example, if I am ever in a situation where I am talking to someone about health problems related to this part of the body, future news reporting, or in regards to my own personal wellness. Because of my understanding of the critical role that background knowledge plays in new learning, I see very little knowledge as useless knowledge.
No comments:
Post a Comment